|The Triangle, seen from Mt. Washington
Located at the confluence of Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, Pittsburgh is the world's furthest inland port and a primary terminal for the Pennsylvania Railroad. The transfer point is visible in the center of the photograph.
The Pennsylvania Railroad runs freight trains down the middle of liberty Avenue, one of the city's busiest streets.
|Liberty Avenue and Grant Street from atop Union Station|
|The Monongahela Wharf
The tallest structure in Pittsburgh is the tower of the County Courthouse, visible towards the upper left of the photograph. Just to its left is the Carnegie Building, the first of Pittsburgh's skyscrapers to have both a fireproof steel frame and elevators.
(The Carnegie Building was demolished in 1952 to make way for expansion of Kaufmann's department store)
|Smithfield Street, northeast from Third Avenue|
|Sixteenth Street Bridge
Originally built in 1838, the 16th Street Bridge is one of the few wooden bridges to survive into the 20th Century. The sign reads "Notice: Horses and cattle are not allowed to cross this bridge at any faster gait than a walk. Penalty $10.00." The smaller sign above the pedestrian section reads "Persons are not allowed to carry lighted cigars or other fire across this bridge. Penalty $5.00." The warning is repeated in German.
|Painter's Mill below Mt. Washington
The basic steel mills of Carnegie Steel Company extend up the Monongahela river for miles.
|The Monongahela Incline
The incline, or funicular, allowed development on the otherwise inaccessible heights of Mt. Washington.
Of the more than twenty inclines that once moved people, horses, wagons and freight, the Mon Incline is one of only two that survive.
|Fort Pitt Foundry & Sable Iron Works viewed from atop Union Station
The south shore of the Allegheny River is dominated by iron foundries and glass works. The Sixteenth Street Bridge is nearly lost in the smoke to the far left of the photo.
Foundries and smoke have given way to warehouses, restaurants and distributors in the fashionable shopping area now known as The Strip District.
|St. Stanislaus Church on Smallman Street
St. Stanislaus can be seen in the picture above, about midway to the right edge.
Located in the City of Allegheny on the river's north shore.
In a small bit of irony, the new "old-style" baseball park to replace Three Rivers Stadium is being built on the site where Exhibition Park once stood.
|The Ravine and Carnegie Institute viewed from atop the Schenley Hotel
The Carnegie Library is to the left. Carnegie Institute sits across the hollow behind it and Phipps Conservatory is more to the right. The left outfield wall of Forbes Field is visible to the very right.
The ravine in the center of the photograph was obliterated by fill from the excavation of Grant's Hill downtown in 1913. The bridge in the center of the photograph was never demolished but was merely buried.
|Carnegie Institute and Library
Originally built in 1892, the first public library is modeled after the campanile in the Piazza of San Marco in Venice. 1899 brought a major addition to the museum, a fossil skeleton of the Diplodicus Carnegii.
The Carnegie underwent major renovation and enlargement in the early 1900's and, in 1999, a life-size reproduction of Carnegie's Diplodicus was set to stand near the museum's entrance of Forbes Avenue.